Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Times They Are A Changin'

I remember my first Barbie Doll. It actually wasn't even technically "Barbie" per se but rather a doll made to look like Ariel from the Little Mermaid. I had a mild obsession with the Little Mermaid as a kid and am fairly certain I watched the movie a bijillion times until the tape wore out. (sad day)






Any who, I did not play with my dolls as a normal girl would, playing dress up and sending her off on a hot date with Kenny boy. No, I chose to dress her up, stuff her in her plush white Barbie Ferrari and send her crashing down the steps and into doors and walls. So violently that her head often popped off. After which I would go dashing into the room where I could find my parents and politely ask one of them to put Ariel back together so that I could do it again. On nice days we even got the privilege of taking a cruise outside, to be launched off of the bike jumps my brother and I built in the backyard.


So maybe I took "playing with Barbie" to a bit of a different level. But I am pretty sure American Girl Doll has officially taken the cake as far as levels go when they introduced to the world Gwen Thompson, the 'Homeless' American Girl.



Are you kidding me?







Do we really need to exploit the struggling economy via a child's doll? Do we really need to exploit this sort of negative connotation towards young children that even dolls can be homeless?

With every American doll comes a book explaining their "story." In Ms. Thompson's case, her father walked out on the family and her mother lost her job, causing them to have to sleep in a car. Let's think about this for a minute. Once the young girls who own this doll (recommended age is 8) are able to read her story, they will be old enough to read but still too young to understand the world in the least bit. By reading this bio, it leaves them with the impression that, yes Daddys leave their Mommys, and if that happens you will eventually be sleeping in a car. But that's okay, that just means you are living just like Gwenny! WTF American Doll.


Wait, wait. But here is the best part. It costs $95 big ones. Talk about an oxymoron.

No comments: